SEO is ever-changing and one of the main items we focus on at our web design company. We perform the research and keep up with the changes that Google advocates.
As 2018 approaches do you have an effective SEO strategy in place? In this blog, you will learn a few key items that will prepare you for the upcoming year.
Rank Brain – a machine learning system that sorts Google search results. Basically in simple terms, this is how long a user is on a page. Is the content relevant enough to keep them on the page? Or do they bounce off right away because the content has nothing to do with the keyword search they typed in their Google search. If you typed in Indoor Cycling and you click on any top 10 results, how engaging are each of them. If one just lands you on a contact page, this does not really tell you about the classes or times of classes they offer. So you may quickly bounce off of this page. If you click on one and it shows the list of all of the classes, detailed description, images and maybe even a video, you may spend a longer time on this page. This will result in a positive interaction from RankBrain. If too many people are clicking on the #1 result and bouncing off, Google will move it from that spot. So the key is to keep relevant, engaging content to keep your client on your page.
Two Key items are focused on:
Dwell Times – This is the amount of time someone stays on your page
Click Through Rate (CTR) – This metric measures the ratio of users who click on a specific link to the number of viewers of the link.
Dwell time is the amount of time that a viewer spends on the page. RankBrain defiantly pays attention to this and it can really harm your SEO. The longer the dwell time, the better it is. This shows the viewer is engaged and the content is relevant to the search they performed. Pages that have a longer dwell time will rank better overall. If many people continue to do this to certain pages, your rankings can boost up. SearchMetrics showed the average dwell time is 3 minutes and 10 seconds. You can check your dwell time on your website by viewing your Google Analytics. This is always a good thing to do if you are actively working on your SEO.
Click Through Rates (CTR)
CTR can be a big factor on having a successful SEO strategy. Here are some key tips to inspire high CTR’s. When developing ads, social media posts and titles for blog posts, it is key to have catchy headlines. Glance over some of the tops below.
- Avoid keyword-focused title tags
- Get emotional – draw people in with emotional words
- Relate to the audience – writing catchy headlines
- Using numbers and number lists boost CTR by 36%
- Add Power Words (Proven, Discover, Dramatically, etc)
- Use Descriptive URL’s. They get 25% more clicks than if you do not update your URL from the generic.
When creating ads, try a variety of different ads for the same term. Change the headlines and then check how each are performing. Also, add these headlines to posts on social media. Again, check the engagement for each. Higher Facebook Engagement Rates = Higher Organic CTR.
Every 3% increase in CTR, can increase your organic rankings by one spot. Get people excited to click your listing and it can benefit your SEO.
In Depth Content Wins
When writing content, the longer the better. Although many people will just skim over this content, Google prefers longer content and relevancy.
Google still looks at the key items that they have in the past, but they look at much more now.
Google wants to find the “BEST” result for the viewers, which is more than just a page stuffed with keywords.
Think of Google crawling pages and stopping on pages that have it all. This page would be a one-stop shop.
Here are some tips:
- Content with at least 2,000 words, with keywords, this will cover the topic in depth.
- Use keyword finder to pick terms relevant to your company and that are searched.
- You can also search the target keyword on Google. Look at the “Searches” that appear in the related search area.
- Make sure your site is mobile friendly. Google will begin to look at the mobile version before the desktop version.
- Add videos to your web site. Did you know that online video would make up 80% of all online traffic by 2021? Are you ready?
How to get started:
- Add You Tube videos, this is the 2nd largest search engine and growing.
- Embed video content to blog posts.
- Optimize these videos.
- Produce unique content, in other words do not duplicate content from any other sites, etc.
- Encourage comments on your blogs
- Create Podcasts to link build
I know this all may be a bit overwhelming, but that is why NEXTFLY is here to assist when any questions that you may have regarding SEO. All of these tips are a great way to get started for your SEO strategy for 2018, contact us to help get the ball rolling.