So what exactly is all this talk about a selfie stick?
I am sure by now you have at least heard about, seen, used, or own a selfie stick! If you have not, you will soon be educated on one. The selfie stick was named by TIME magazine one of “The 25 Best Inventions of 2014”. A selfie stick allows you to take pictures with your phone while it is attached to an extendable stick that gives you the ability to take the photo from an unique angle.
I will be honest, when I first heard of a selfie stick I thought it sounded a little over the top. When I was in Chicago and saw people using them, I thought they looked even more ridiculous. But as time has gone on, they have definitely grown on me. Not to mention they are compatible with just about every type of phone – Apple iPhone 6 Plus 5.5″, 4.7″, 5 4 3, Samsung Galaxy S5 S4 S3 S2, Note 4 3 2, HTC One M8, LG G2 G3 G Flex, Motorola Moto E G X, Nexus 5, Sony Xperia, and more! Their are many practical uses of a selfie stick that will allow you to take photos and videos of the moment you are capturing.
Practical uses of a selfie stick –
- A group photo can be taken without excluding one person or bothering someone else to take the picture.
- Traveling by yourself? Capture your moments, without relying on someone you don’t know to take the picture.
- Ability to take a selfie without your other arm getting in the way when you click the button on your phone to take the picture.
Do I have your attention or sparked your interest in getting a selfie stick yet? Let’s dig a little deeper into how the selfie stick actually works.
Functions of the selfie stick –
- The pole is extendable from 9” – 39.25” so you can take a photo from whatever distance you want.
- A button is conveniently located on the handle of the stick to press when you are ready to capture your moment.
- There is a bracket with a spring that expands to put your phone into, then tightly secures your phone to hold it in to place.
Types of selfie sticks –
- Some are Bluetooth-enabled, which pair with your iPhone or Android phone. These let you press a button on the handle to take a photo with your selfie stick.
- You can also find sticks that will plug into your smartphone’s headphone jack, which also let’s you take a photo with the press of a button on the handle.
- There are also sticks that come without any remote triggering function; some of these are sold as a package deal with a keychain-sized Bluetooth remote.
Hopefully I have gained your interest in a selfie stick or at least educated you more about them. Next time you see them at the store take a minute to stop and check them out! They are very reasonably priced, anywhere from $10-$25. Great idea for a birthday gift, gag gift, or just to surprise someone with a little something that will also spark some great table conversation!